Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm (Not) In The Money!!!

The Sweet Man and I recently refinanced our mortgage,
and for reasons SO BORING you would keel over and die if I explained them,
we overpayed our property tax escrow account 
to the tune of you-could-buy-a-crappy-used-car-with-the-amount.


Youngsters, I give you the AMC Gremlin, a REAL CAR from the seventies.

So when I received an envelope from the escrow company this week 
that looked tantalizingly check-y, I was understandable excited.


Wooo!! Christmas just came early!!

BUT, when I opened the envelope?


Yes, you read that amount right.
The company generated,

signed,

enveloped,

addressed,

and STAMPED a check for...

FIVE FREAKIN' CENTS.


When I called the company to try to wrangle my ACTUAL amount owed,
Dan assured me that we would be receiving our refund,
since - in his words - the county wanted the correct amount "to the penny."


"It's funny you should mention 'pennies',"  I said,
and told him the tale of the Amazing Miniature Check.

So, wish me luck!
I'll be waiting by the mailbox.




6 comments:

  1. I just read your entire blog! It was cool that the denizens of Chili's got a bit of a shout-out.

    - TLK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Kev! What brought you here?

      Delete
    2. I was catching up on Chili's (it's been since before Thanksgiving I looked there!) and you linked your kitchen island, I think. So then I caught up here! I've subscribed now, so I can get an email when you update. :)

      It was fun to see entries about your twins. I don't know if you remember that I have B/G twins, too, a bit younger than yours, though. Driving is only a few years into our future which scares the heck out of me!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you came over! I do remember that you have twins; you might be surprised about the driving. It took for-ev-er before both of mine were driving. They were either scared (Anne) or unmotivated (Tom.)

      Delete
  2. I was wondering why you fell off the face of the internet world there, TLK.

    Did you get any more pennies back from the tax guy yet? That's the real reason I thought I'd reply.

    Lastly, I never knew anyone who owned a Gremlin. Did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID finally get my refund check! And I never owned a Gremlin; I owned a sweet little Renault. http://dammitminnie.blogspot.com/search?q=renault

      Delete