Saturday, May 31, 2014

RIP MNIE on TWoP

This post is for a select group of people.
Everyone else can read it if they want, but just know:
it's aimed at a group for whom the words 
"whojackie," "the list" and "meta" mean something very specific.

Okay.

So.  There was this awesome online site called Television Without Pity.


It was a sometimes enlightening, sometimes infuriating,
but always entertaining place to hang out
and discuss favorite -- and not so favorite -- shows on TV.

One show that fell firmly in the "favorite" category for me 
and many others was the 2005 - 2009 show My Name is Earl.


Starring Jason Lee,
it was profane and hilarious and surprisingly heartfelt,
and I loved it from the very first episode.

It followed loser Earl Hickey, who, after a brush with death,
decided to turn his life around and do right by the people
 he had previously done wrong.

I and my fellow fans enjoyed discussing the show on TWoP post-airings,
but for the season two episode, "Kept a Guy Locked in a Truck,"
we were in for an awesome surprise.

"Kept a Guy Locked in a Truck,"
or as we would later dub it, "our episode," 
told the story of how Earl was trying to make amends
to a dead guy, Josh, by throwing him a funeral.


(Yes, that's John Waters playing the funeral director.)

Unfortunately, it seemed Josh had no friends to attend said funeral,
until Earl finds out he actually had a wide circle of online friends.


And one of the groups of friends?
Posters on TWoP.

Earl noted that Josh posted on TWoP under the name "whojackie,"
and he was shown in a flashback typing while saying aloud 
(in that self-important tone of voice
 familiar to anyone who has ever posted anywhere):

"No, I don't think shows should do more meta jokes
 that cater to the online bloggers
and I'm sure everyone at Television Without Pity Dot Com 
agrees with me."

Augh!! Shout-out to TWoP!!

And when we hit the thread
for discussion and internet high-fives...


... poster hlisy noted that that very post we
just heard Josh say in the episode

"Whojackie" had been posting almost since the beginning!

We responded to whojackie as though he was creator Greg Garcia,
(which he was)
but Garcia kept the joke going by replying 
as though he were other characters from the show,
 Joy and Darnell, who supposedly now had Josh's computer;
"Joy" invited us all to whojackie's funeral.


(Joy and Darnell, 
played to perfection by Jaime Pressly and Eddie Steeples.)

Poster BStu also found that keepin' it meta by emailing "Joy"
got a reply in character, so we soon were all joining in the fun;
for example, I had this exchange with Joy:

Dear Joy:  Thanks for the invite to whojackie's funeral.  
Unfortunately, I'm all the way in California,
 and don't think the Big Grey Dog would get me there in time. 
I did donate some money in his memory, 
because he was an okay guy: he may have gone off-topic sometimes, 
but he was never a troll.

I have a quick question for Crabman:  is he still selling any "produce"?
 I heard he was quite a good "gardener."
Your friend on the Wide Wide World of Web, LiberryLady.

And my answer from Joy:

Hey Liberty Lady.  I know a wrestler named Lady Liberty. 
Anyway, Darnell don't sell weed no more if that what you're hinting at.  I can give you another dude's name if you want.

("Liberty Lady" would show up as a character later on, btw. And no, I didn't take Joy up on her offer of the other dude's name.)

That money I was talking about?
We ended up doing a "memorial drive" for whojackie,
and donated the money to Make-A-Wish. 



The story didn't end there!

After a few months, whojackie asked if anyone was available
to participate in the dvd commentary for the episode,
and the lovely NoirCommeMoi and I volunteered and did so.


(Greg Garcia, NoirCommeMoi, me, Jason Lee, Ethan Suplee.)

NoirCommeMoi and my write-up of the recording starts here
this blog post has already gotten waaay long,
so check it out on the WayBack Machine if you're interested.

And speaking of the "WayBack Machine"...

Y'know, the end of TWoP isn't the burning of the Library of Alexandria.


We were talking about TV shows, after all.
But we made each other laugh, 
we supported each other in tough times, 
and just like in the Earl episode,
we were a community of friends.

I'll be sad to see all of our pages and pages of conversation go.
But other posters and I have done a little bit of saving;
 has been archived on the Wayback Machine. 

So, goodbye, everyone at TWoP!
You'll be missed!
I hope I'll see you over at previously.tv



It doesn't have the history,
but the conversations are still going on.



ETA:

TWoP Member Name:  LiberryLady
Member Since:  21 Nov 2003
Member Title:  Stalker
Active Posts:  8065

2 comments:

  1. Huh. I had no idea TWOP had closed shop. I used to follow a few shows there, but some of the posters could be vicious. Still, I'm sad it's gone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They gave us enough notice that we could find other places to gather, which is nice, but man... some of us really had a lot of shared history there.

      Some posters were jerks, but the moderation really kept it from getting out of hand, in my opinion.

      Delete