Thursday, May 23, 2013

It's Here, It's Here, It's Heeeeere!

Woo!  Time for the unveiling!


In this and this post, I teased what I had been working on,
and now it's time to share it with the Wide, Wide World of Web!

....drumroll...

I give you, 
the Little Free Library!


Isn't it awesome?

I read about the Little Free Library movement in the LA Times last summer,
and vowed to make one for myself.

I love, love love sharing books,
and thought building my own box would be a piece of cake.

(Spoiler alert...


... it was NOT a piece of cake.)

My woodworking skills are rudimentary at best,
and mistakes were definitely made.

But after a month of Sundays,
it looked like I was finished.



EXCEPT...


ARGH!!!

Anything bigger than a paperback wouldn't fit!

So I went back to work, adding another story.

I learned a few things from the first go around, such as:


mark a channel, instead of a single line, for cutting,
so that the end results will be more accurate.


And, use one of those L-shaped thingies to keep things lined up
while attaching them together.


Also, pony up the freakin' $30 for a power screwdriver,
 instead of laboriously doing forty-eleven screws manually.

So after another month of Sundays,
 my fine Little Free Library was ready to take out to the sidewalk.










Do you see what I used for the roof?
CDs!
The idea literally came to me in a dream.


I originally was going to do the library in soft, ocean shades,
and shingle the roof with river rocks.

But once I got the painting done,
I realized that while the rocks may have worked with the Shaker-like simplicity
of the boxes offered on the Little Free Library site...


... my color choices were just too Afro-Circus
 for anything but an unconventional roof.


                          Afro! Circus! Afro!

                            Polka-dot, Polka-dot, Polka-dot! Afro!      


So if you're in Simi Valley, California, stop on by!
I'm on the map!

You'll be able to check out books
with a "no-shush" guarantee. 

12 comments:

  1. This is LITERALLY the coolest thing that I have ever seen. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so crafty! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott! I haven't heard from the Acorn yet, but I hope I do!

      Delete
  3. You might think you're ready to see the mini-library. But then you do. And you think "I should take a book" but it's Just So Damn Cute, and so I didn't take a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, there's always next time! The Little Free Library is open 24/7!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea!
    And, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you fabulous book person! That library is AWESOME!! I am so impressed with your presentation on the blog, too. What a great idea for the roof, and I LOVE the bright colors...it will make people come close to take a peek at "what is that?"
    Beth, you are totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I went with the bright colors, too! It definitely catches the eye!

      Delete
  6. Are you willing to share more of your actual building plans? I don't really even know where to start. We have tools, but I am a novice with wood working. I would love to know sizes, kind of wood and how to put the corners together. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Mika, I wish I could help ... but I really just winged it, and I think I threw away any of my notes. BUT! At the Little Free Library site, they have free plans, with tutorials and videos: http://littlefreelibrary.org/builders/

      Good luck!

      Delete