Saturday, March 2, 2013

Get Yer Abbey On!

Did you watch this show?


Despite its PBS pedigree,
Downton Abbey is the soapiest of soaps, 
a category of TV I gave up more than thirty years ago
when I realized that no one would ever be allowed to be happy
for more than a season or two.

How soapy is it?

Well in season one, this elegant, (seemingly) reserved British lady...


... killed this pillow-lipped character...


IN HER BED.

It's true!
Lady Mary, she of the demure little hats,
slept with the naughty Ambassador Pamuk and somehow 
killed 
him 
dead.

Like I said, 
SOAP CITY.


BUT!
While I may roll my eyes at the often-unbelievable shenanigans
of these Brits and their servants,
I will always come back for the FASHIONS!

Just look at these ladies!


I swoon!

And what about these wedding dresses?


I love those veils!
(And btw, I think the much-maligned Lady Edith on the right
actually looks better than her Mean Girl sister Lady Mary on the left.)

But it wasn't only the wedding finery that caught my eye;
there were also a few shots of how the village had prepared for Lady Mary's wedding:


So simple, but so pretty, right?
Bunting is evidently an English thing 
that has happily become more and more popular across the pond.

I dig it, so I decided to make some for my Etsy shop!




I did an earlier tutorial  for how to do these yourself,
but if you're interested in skipping the sewing machine
 I have both a listing for a single string and a listing for three strings in my shop.

What do you think Lady Mary?


She's excited.  I can tell.

4 comments:

  1. I think most guy's dream of being killed like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you that he went out with a smile on his face, but he looked as shocked as I was!

      Delete
  2. I swore loudly and sailorly at the end of the last episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lawwwwd. Keep away from Lady Mary, everyone! Those who have enjoyed the pleasures of her bed have a mortality rate of 100%! And, Edith! Whatever birth control that is available in the twenties, double up on it, because the girls of your family do NOT have great outcomes with birthin'!

      Delete