Friday, May 11, 2012

What Was She, Twelve?

Just look at that slip of a girl:

  
Yep, that's my mom.  She was, I think, twenty-two at the time of this picture.

Married at eighteen, a mother twice over by the time she was twenty-one,
she dealt with toddlers and cloth diapers and cooking regular meals
 while I at that same age was apartment-slumming without my own vacuum cleaner
and regularly making a dinner of ramen.


(Cup O' Noodles.  It's like kibble for college students.)

She was protective of my physical safety (no playing in the street for me!)
and expected me to do well in school, 
but I joined this club or that sports team because I was interested,
not because she pushed me or thought it would look good on my college application.

She parented with a light touch: I remember few lectures, but she perfected a Really?! expression that could make me rethink a decision without a single word from her.

She also didn't sweat the small stuff.
I was in charge of my own clothesmy own friendships, my own school assignments
(Though she would, without complaint, help me out with late-night school reports.)
But why would she bother telling me to put on a sweater,
when I knew my own self if it was cold outside? 



The best thing she ever did was nurture my love of reading.  She read to me and my sister before bedtime, and when I got older, and these started coming home from school--


-- she not only NEVER told me I had chosen too many books,
she also would check off a few more after I handed my wish list back.

Is it any wonder my book stand looks like this?


So, thanks Mom!  I'm glad I had you for a mother.

To you and all the other moms:
Happy Mother's Day!

ETA:

Mom and her girls, Mother's Day 2012:


We should have sat on her lap and recreated the original photo, eh?

8 comments:

  1. Let us not forget the mantra that resulted in two extremely capable women; if you can read, you can follow directions, if you can follow directions, you can do anything. Thanks, Mom, for allowing the bottom of then linen closet to be filled with Harlequin romances. They weren't classics, but I still expanded my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I remember that closet and those books! I forget how many I read before I finally realized that nothing was going to "happen" at the end, except "the fire flickered softly and died"...

      Aunt Lori

      Delete
    2. What I remember of those Barbara Cartland books was that the heroine was always breathing, "I never knew...it could be... like this!" But we never got the DETAILS of "this."

      Delete
  2. Thanks Beth I think I have 2 of the most wonderful daughters in the whole. Love you both very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,

    I would like to tell you that you are a wonderful and great mother and thank you.....
    I remember our chat together late at night few years ago, it was yesterday, but I felt always connected with you during the travel of my life. Take care of you my friend.....

    Thank you so much american sisters to have been able to share this
    treasure, what is the dearer to the world, with me.
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you stopped by, my French sister!

      Delete