Friday, April 13, 2012

I'm Practically A Founding Father. Or Mother.

Today I had jury duty.

Booooooo, right?

Nope, it was awesome!

I showed up at 8 am for my one day.  The room was warm and spacious, with comfy chairs
and a panoramic window showing us the storm right outside.

First, a judge showed up in his suit and red bow tie:


Nooooo... not that guy!  A grown-up judge guy in a red bow tie!

He gave a short speech that simultaneously reassured us we were in for an easy day,
and praised us for being Super-Patriots who should be proud of 
 doing our civic duty.

THANKS, JUDGE GUY!

Next, a red-haired woman went to the podium to give us an orientation speech.


 Well, she didn't have Joan's figure, but she certainly had her sass.

We laughed as she gave us the needed info in a sly, snarky way, and
we also thought a collective "Buuuuuuurn..." when she coolly asked the owner
of a ringing cell phone, "Do you need to get that?"
(Joan would have been proud.) 

What next?

VACATION BEACH TIME!



Well, not literally.  But we just needed to hang close, so I busted out my newspaper 
and book, and spent a pleasant morning reading, reading, reading, which I usually only get to do on a weekday morning when I'm on vacation, sprawled on a beach blanket.

And how much time did we get for our lunch break?

NINETY FULL MINUTES!


Ooh la la, am I in France?

I get a scant 25 minutes at work, sometimes less.

After having time to not only get a Chipotle salad bowl
but also go for a nice long walk in the rain, I headed back for more reading
and a bit of check balancing. 

Done with my chore, I decided to reward myself with a trip to the vending machine:


I don't know the last time I had one of these.
They were, as I remembered, DELICIOUS.

By now it was 3 pm.  

Joan-Adjacent asked us all to return to the room, where we nervously waited to 
be called to a panel.  (Sort of a preliminary for being called on a case.)

But, no! 


We
were
FREEEEEE!!!!


We tossed our badges in the baskets,
grabbed our "Get Out Of Jury Duty For One Year" paperwork
and we were GONE!!

All in all, it was a fine way to spend Friday the 13th.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to do jury duty, but as a single parent it never seems to work out. One year, after calling and telling them I had no where to leave my child, I brought her with me. They excused me and rushed me out of the building shortly after my arrival. It was as if they had toddler radar in the hallway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... a person could make a few extra bucks, renting out a toddler to cranky prospective jurors heading in!

      Delete
    2. Are those Hostess cupcakes?

      I always like to hear jury stories. And I like the shot of the kids running out of school.

      Delete
    3. Wait... I thought I knew you! You like the picture of the kids and not the one of the pretty lady with the impressive bosoms? ;)

      Delete
  2. My darling disabled daughter was called for Jury Duty. Imagine my irritation when they requested a doctor's note to excuse her. Had I not had one handy, I was going to take her, with sack lunch and diapers in tow and leave her at the door. That sounds like an awesome day though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get Annie excused right now, when she lives 175 miles away! I have to send a copy of her bills and/or lease.

      Delete