Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mystery Solved!

'Member when I potted up some mystery tomato seedlings
that had taken root in some of my pots?


Well, the mystery has been solved!

These little tomatoes have the distinctive pumpkin-y shape of a Costoluto.


And these are the bright orange of Sungolds.


These two types of tomatoes are also coincidentally 
the best performers in my garden this year.

And speaking of "best performers"...


These were NOT.

This tomato plant was a "Lincoln,"
and it got munched on by some dang grasshoppers early in the season.
Instead of rallying, like a little punk it just gave up and and died.

So what to do?

How about some FALL tomatoes?


Armstrong Nurseries has taken advantage of California gardeners
just not being ready to give up our tomato harvest,
and has designated some tomato seedlings "fall tomatoes."

This is a bit of a racket:  these aren't specially bred tomatoes or anything.
They're just tough tomatoes.  I know this because one of the tomatoes offered is
my beloved Costoluto, the volunteer tomato already planted and growing in my garden.

But I picked up three new tomatoes last weekend
-- Long Keeper, Oregon Star, and Stupice --
and planted them in the super-duper expensive high-end potting soil that Armstrong offers.

Because I never get tired of fresh tomatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment