Saturday, June 23, 2012

I'm On A Bunting Bender!

I already showed you the Jiji bunting...



Now it's time to do a tutorial on the primitive bunting I saw at the craft fair I worked!

As you may remember, the lovely Shannon of Random Sacks of Kindness
showed me some primitive bunting she made to 
decorate her booth and her camping site when she went camping:


I loved, loved how they fluttered in the slightest breeze;
and was determined to make some of my own.

To the crafting table!

I wanted to make these as quick as possible, since they were going to be looooong.

I started with an easy width:  six inches wide, so I could just zip across
my six inch wide ruler.


To make the triangles, I also wanted easy, so I used a triangle template I already had.


This triangle template came from a set I got years ago;
it's a "triangle within a rectangle" template.


As a bonus, I found a Mother's Day card in the template envelope.
Judging from the tippy writing,
I'm guessing I got this from the kids when they were about three.

Awww!!


 (*Takes a minute to get misty about those sweet little preschoolers, then recovers
when I realize my almost twenty-one-year-old twins can both now
drive their own dang selves wherever they want.  Hurrah!*)

Most of these fabrics are either batiks, plaids, or okay-when-viewed-on-either-side,
and I only used a single, unseamed, unfinished thickness of them for the bunting.

BUT, I did have this cupcake fabric I wanted to feature
that really wasn't that cupcake-y on the back side.

So after cutting the six-inch strips, I placed two six-inch strips together,
WRONG SIDE TO WRONG SIDE, 
marked the triangles instead of cutting them...


 ... pinned along the edges of the two strips...


then sewed a quarter inch on either side of the blue lines.


Once I did that, I cut along the blue lines, so I had a two-sided cupcake pennant!


Now it was time to sew!
I nerdily used a complex method of assuring there was a sufficient randomness
to all the pennants.

Then I stacked the pennants to the left of my machine, 
zigzagged over an eighteen-inch "attaching" tail,
placed the yarn above the upper edge of the first one,
and just zigzagged right over the yarn.

You can't see it, but I put a little Sharpie dot on my clear surface,
about an inch in front of the sewing foot.
When the sewn pennant was all the way sewn, I would line up the NEXT pennant
on the dot and put the yarn on it.
It made the spaces in between the pennants pretty uniform.


To keep the yarn corralled, I put it in the box taped on the edge of my sewing table.


I found the trick to the yarn to be keeping it nice and taunt.  I pulled it straight back, firmly,
so it wouldn't go wibbly-wobbly on the top of the pennant when I was sewing it.


I used about fifty pennants, and it made a looong string!  About eleven yards!

For some of the fabrics, I couldn't find a wide enough variety,
so I did a little fabric painting before sewing.

For example, I used some gold paint on some yellow-gold batik to make this pennant


You can see below I also painted some of the red fabric for this string.

That's all the same string!  Like I said, fifty pennants made a lot of bunting.

Wouldn't this Gryffindor bunting be awesome at a Harry Potter party?


The idea of it being used at a Pirate Wedding makes me clutch my heart and swoon.


This silvery-green bunting was hard to photograph to do it justice,
but it would make the coolest Slytherin bunting
OR
the prettiest, sweetest garden bunting for a wedding.

(Every once in awhile I make something that I'm tempted to keep,
and I can't stop imagining this around my own back patio.)


Sometimes, a girl would just like to get her princess on.
The pinks, purples, whites and creams would be great for a real girly-girl.


And what about that cupcake bunting?


Looks pretty good, no?  It's going to be a gift.
But all the rest will be available in my Etsy shop!

2 comments:

  1. These are adorbs! I need the Gryffimdor. Oh, and the sylvery green. And yeah, the cupcake one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're fun to make, too!

    I made the cupcake bunting for my cousin, who has an Etsy shop called Raging Cupcake. http://www.etsy.com/shop/RagingCupcakes?ref=seller_info She does craft fairs; I think this kind of bunting would look great fluttering around an outside table.

    ReplyDelete