Monday, March 19, 2012

Dig This Crazy Hep Cat

A couple years ago, I made some Christmas bunting for my Etsy store that I thought was
HI-LAR-I-OUS:


Get it?  Because at Christmas, sometimes you're Merry
but sometimes you're just Meh.

However, the buying public at Etsy wasn't as interested, and I think I sold a whopping...

...zero.

But, yay!  Someone contacted me for a custom string of this bunting,
with an interesting idea.
Instead of Christmas bunting, she wanted something anime/chibi.
We agreed that the delightful Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service would be perfect.

So, would y'all like a tutorial on how to make bunting? 

You're in luck, because I'm in a tutorial-making mood!

What You'll Need

HeatNBond, UltaHold
fabric
thread
extra wide double fold bias tape, 1/2 package
sewing machine, rotary cutter or scissors, etc.

Instructions:

The finished squares will the 6" x 6", so the images need to fit inside this.
I printed out the letters in Curlz MT*, and since the images need to be flipped,
I turned the paper over and traced the letters on the back.

*I know some people find Curlz unbearably twee, but I like it.  Sue me. 
I also use Comic Sans on occasion, Haters!!


I put my traced letters under the HeatNBond ULTRAHOLD, and traced the letters onto it. Following the instructions I bonded the HeatNBond letters to the back of the black fabric.


I did the same with a Jiji graphic I found, and then carefully cut them out.

The white is layered on the black, btw.  It was pretty easy to do.

Next, I cut five each 6 1/2" squares of the different gray fabrics
and the backing, black fabric.
(You need the extra 1/2" for the seam allowance.)


Tip!  Check the back side of fabrics. 
You can see that this busy fabric wouldn't work as well as its back side does.


I bonded all the letters and Jijis, making sure I liked the ending placement of the fabrics.
See?  It's busy-plain-busy-plain-busy for the gray squares.


I made sure I didn't go into the seam allowance, except for the bottom of Jiji.
If I made him "float" above the bottom, he would have ended up looking decapitated.
So I lined up the bottom of the image with the actual bottom of the raw edge.

To sew, I put the black and the decorated squares face to face, and sewed down the left, across the bottom, and up the right.  The TOP should be open.

I turned the blocks right side out, and ironed them.
I use a big fat knitting needle (size 15) to poke into the corners, to make them square.


I could make my own binding, but I'm lazy.  I buy this stuff, instead.
For this project, I only needed half the package.


The inside cardboard works very nicely for the next part of this project.  For longer strings, I use it as is, but for this project I trimmed it slightly down to 2" wide.

After ironing the binding (on medium heat -- it's polyester) I put a pin at the mid-way point.
I did the same with the middle letter, and eased it up between the two folds.


I then went to the right and the left, using my cardboard guide to pin the other letters.


Time to sew!  I like to use Sulky rayon thread and a serpentine stitch.
It's pretty easy to make the squares nice and straight up in the binding.

Finished!!


I think Jiji would approve.



No comments:

Post a Comment