Saturday, September 5, 2015

I Will Save Youuuuu!

I am fortunate to live a few miles away from a very cool couple
who has made their house a Monarch butterfly way station.


I have bought several milkweed plants from them in the past, 
and used them to raise Monarch butterflies from egg to beautiful butterfly.


I had my new bushes just sitting out by the front porch...


... when I realized caterpillars were disappearing!

I blame these guys.


(Doesn't he look shifty?)

I thought I'd put them in my nice bug enclosure...


... but the enclosure was too short.

How was I going to save this last little guy?


(I named him Nemo, of course.)

Then I remembered a million years ago, I made my own photography light box
with nothing more than a box and some tissue paper.


Hmmm...

I got it!


I started with an enormous Amazon box...


... some cheap screening...


... and some duct tape.


I go into battle for DUCT tape.)

I CAREFULLY cut two inches in from each side
(except the bottom)
with a box cutter and a heavy-duty ruler.



It looked like this when I was done.
(I reinforced any floppy bits with duct tape.)


 Then I cut the screening bigger than the hole,
but smaller than the edges,
and duct-taped it down.


For the top, I taped down one side of the screening,
but not the other three.
I reinforced the three other edges of the screen so I would have a handy flap.


I placed two milkweed plants inside...


... closed the flap,
and taaaa daaaa!


If little Nemo had hands,
I think he would give me a thumbs-up.


Bonus!

Here's an awesome timelapse video I found on the excellent website


No comments:

Post a Comment