Monday, January 19, 2015

Get Down Wit Yo' Bad Self

How much did you love Guardians of the Galaxy?


It was the most profitable movie of 2014,
so I know I wasn't the only fan.

And since the seventies soundtrack
reached number one on the Billboard 200 chart,
I know I wasn't alone in my love of the music, either.


 A plot point of the movie is that there was an 
Awesome Mix Volume 1 (which was the soundtrack)
and an Awesome Mix Volume 2,
of which we heard only a single song.

So pretty much from the time I headed out of the theater,
I've been wondering just what songs should be on that second mix tape.

I am, after all, a child of the seventies (Class of '79 is Fine!)
and am therefore pretty familiar with the music.

I spent months writing song titles on Post-its,
and trying to figure out the perfect blend of pop, soul and rock.
Once I had done so, I made a mix tape (cd) for The Boy,
since he was also a fan of the movie,
and the whole set-up for the mix tapes is that they were given
to the main character by his mother.

The results?


Awesome Mix Volume 2!

All the songs were ones I loved without irony in the seventies:
some I danced to,
all I sang along with,
and one was even an "our song."

This is a soundtrack to long car rides,
slumber parties,
and dances in the high school gym.


And what did The Boy get me?


Seventies Soul and Funk!

Oh, yeaaaaah...

I believe it's going to get all
DANCE-Y 
up in here!



No comments:

Post a Comment